Hardy Falls, Rodney Falls, Pool of the Winds, Beacon Rock State Park - Hamilton Mountain Trailhead, Portland - Columbia River Gorge, Oregon
Hardy Falls, Rodney Falls, Pool of the Winds - 2.4 miles
Beacon Rock State Park - Hamilton Mountain Trailhead
|Round-Trip Length:||2.4 miles|
|Start-End Elevation:||425' - 969' (969' elevation @ Pool of Winds viewing area)|
|Elevation Change:||+544' net elevation gain (+635' total roundtrip elevation gain)|
Hardy Falls, Rodney Falls, Pool of the Winds - 2.4 Miles Round-Trip
The Hamilton Mountain Trail runs 1.2 miles from Beacon Rock State Park to a bridge across Rodney Falls with access to Hardy Falls and Pool of the Winds.
This family-friendly hike begins on a steep grade through mature fir stands to a powerline clearing and split for the Hadley Trail (.45 miles : 742'). Enjoy good views of Bonneville Dam and Hamilton Mountain from this open point.
It re-enters the forest and drops to a short bridge (.9 miles), just past which a spur splits down to a viewing area for Hardy Falls (.95 miles : 889').
Hardy Falls drops 90' in a classic horsetail formation, but it's difficult to see through dense timber. It's possible to scramble down to the creek for a closer look (use caution).
A small but attractive waterfall is set back from the footbridge just before the split to Hardy Falls. It's more prominent when leaves are down, and can be reached with some effort.
The main trail continues down to a split for Pool of the Winds, which is filled by the upper tier of Rodney Falls 35' above. Follow signs up a steep, rail-guarded path to the viewing area (1.1 miles : 969'). Heavy spray can limit views of the upper tier from this point.
Hardy Creek squeezes through a crack (eye level from the viewing area) and continues another 45' as the lower tier of Rodney Falls. Backtrack to the main trail and continue on a bridge across the base of Rodney Falls (1.2 miles : 895'). This long bridge provides an excellent look at the falls, and creek's course below.
- N45 37.957 W122 01.191 — 0.0 miles : Hamilton Mountain Trailhead
- N45 38.205 W122 01.090 — .45 miles : Hadley Trail split
- N45 38.512 W122 01.070 — .9 miles : Cross footbridge
- N45 38.551 W122 00.970 — .95 miles : Split to Hardy Falls view point
- N45 38.593 W122 00.912 — 1.1 miles : Split for Pool of the Winds
- N45 38.585 W122 00.889 — 1.2 miles : Bridge over Hardy Creek
- There's a $2 fee to cross Bridge of the Gods (each direction).
Camping and Backpacking Information
- Backcountry camping is not permitted in Beacon Rock State Park, including the Hamilton Mountain Trail.
Rules and Regulations
- A $5 fee or valid Recreation Pass is required to access the Hamilton Mountain Trail. Complete the form and display as directed at the trailhead.
Directions to Trailhead
The Hamilton Mountain Trailhead is located in Beacon Rock State Park on the Washington side of the Columbia River Gorge.
From Bridge of the Gods, travel 6.7 miles west on Highway 14 to Beacon Rock State Park. Turn right. Anticipate this hard, sharp turn.
Follow the entrance road .4 miles to the trailhead parking lot on the right.
Gifford Pinchot National Forest | Mount Adams Ranger District
2455 HWY 141
Trout Lake, WA 98650
Columbia River Gorge National Scenic Area
902 Wasco Ave | Suite 200
Hood River, OR 97031
Gifford Pinchot National Forest | Headquarters
1501 E. Evergreen Blvd
Vancouver, WA 98661